Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Power Company

Today I was forced to have a humiliating conversation with the power company.

This morning I was lying on our bed doing my routine foot stretches when the power suddenly turned off. I fully expected it to snap back on within a few seconds, but it didn't. Then I got thinking and I couldn't recall ever paying an electric bill to the great Silver State. With that unsettling thought in mind I quickly called Nevada Power. I began our conversation like this "Hi, I am just trying to determine if there is a power outage in my area, or if my power has been shut off because I've never paid a bill." Sure enough they disconnected us because of our "failure to pay." However, during the call I did uncover the fact that they were mailing our bills to the wrong address.

Just to rub in the fact that I couldn't turn on a light all day, I couldn't dry my hair, I didn't have air conditioning, I could barely see my eyes while putting on mascara, and I couldn't heat up last night's leftovers. When I went outside (on my way to buy ice for our fridge and freezer in order to keep our food from spoiling) there was a giant orange sticker on our power box indicating that we'd been disconnected. I couldn't help but feel that it was there just to inform passers-by of our irresponsibility. It was practically screaming "hey your neighbors in such and such apartment, they don't pay their bills!"

Lesson learned: never forget the power company--electricity is an essential component of most day-to-day activities.

Honestly though, Dave and I thought it was hilarious and laughed ourselves sick. Sometimes I don't feel like I should be leading the adultish life that I am. I just can't picture other adults that I know forgetting to pay their power bill. For example, I don't imagine that my parents would laugh if they forgot to pay their power bill and went without electricity for a day.

5 comments:

  1. Megan!!! I'm so excited that you found me on Andrea's blog! I was actually looking to see if you guys had a blog - and I didn't see it on there- so I'm so excited that you do have one! So how is vegas? When are you guys coming back? It looks like you are having fun there! You two are seriously the cutest couple! I'm excited to be able to keep in contact over blogging! OH- and I loved your story about the power company- you poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unrelated to the blog, but it's a direct quote from an NPR program about the shortcomings of public schools. "Teach For America makes teaching sexy." I'm not sure what that means, but I though Dave would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this story made my whole day, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh megan. that is too funny. btw, is the book you are reading any good? i'm always searching for a new book to put on my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very funny! In our family, Kalen is in charge of paying those bills. Because, I always forget- I am the worst with cell phone bills! Sounds like a hot day though!

    ReplyDelete